Call for Poster Submissions
Poster Submission Deadline Extended to April 25, 2018
Download the Call for Posters
The Association of Professional Dog Trainers (APDT) and the APDT Foundation is inviting submissions for poster presentation proposals from the academic (faculty, students, and researchers) and professional (dog trainers, shelter staff, veterinary staff, etc.) communities for the APDT Annual Conference scheduled in Memphis, TN, October 17-20, 2018. Research posters should highlight research in topics relevant to dog behavior and training including preliminary results, completed studies, summaries of relevant published research (for which you are the author), and position papers. The aim of the poster session is to facilitate dissemination of research results to the broader community of dog training practitioners. Example topics of interest include (but are not limited to) behavioral studies, effectiveness studies (i.e., training protocols, training curricula, shelter management protocols, etc.), and business case studies.
The APDT produces the premier dog training and behavior conference in the United States. APDT membership is over 5,200 members worldwide and consists of dog trainers, animal behaviorists, world-renowned speakers/authors, veterinarians, veterinary technicians, shelter personnel, and service dog trainers. Typical conference attendance is approximately 800 people. APDT members are committed to becoming better trainers through education and the annual conference is certified to provide continuing education credits to certified dog trainers, veterinarians, veterinary technicians, animal welfare administrators, and animal behavior consultants. For more information on the conference program please visit our web site at https://apdt.com/conference/
Selection of accepted posters will be determined by evaluations from the board or committee of the board. To submit an abstract for consideration, please e-mail an abstract to poster@APDT.com by April 25, 2018. Following our selection process, invitation letters will be sent out electronically by May 18, 2018.
Selected presenters will be expected to be available during the conference Poster session to discuss their research with the conference attendees during our exhibit hall hours. APDT will provide the presenters with necessary display equipment (please see the next page for detailed poster requirements).
Three Presenter Scholarships Will Be Awarded!
The Poster Presenter for each poster accepted will receive free registration for the full conference. Three awards will be offered for first ($750), second ($500) and third ($250) place poster. The winners will be announced at the APDT Foundation auction. Attendance is required.
Poster Abstract Submissions
|April 25, 2018
Acceptance and Official Invitation Letter
|May 18, 2018
Poster hand delivered or mailed
|October 16, 2018
Posters for Display
|October 17-19, 2018
Poster Research Presentation
(i.e. Power Point)
|TBD on the conference schedule
Abstract Submission and Contact:
Poster Session Details and Requirements
- A full conference registration for the Poster Presenter of the research project to the APDT Annual Conference.
- An opportunity to discuss your research with leaders in the canine behavior and training industry during the Poster Display in the exhibit hall.
- An opportunity to present your research with a Power Point presentation during the APDT conference (i.e. 60-minute formal presentation including Q&A).
- An opportunity to receive one of three awards for best posters.
- Submit your poster abstract by March 16, 2018 to poster@APDT.com.
- Selection and formal invitation letters will be send out by April 13, 2018.
- Registration to the Annual Conference by the Principal Investigator is required. The Principal Investigator will be sent a registration form with the invitation letter. To waive the registration fee the author must indicate "Poster Session Participant" in the special billing area on the registration form.
Abstract Submission Requirements:
- Create your abstract in Microsoft Word.
- Use bold size 14 Arial for the abstract title and all author's names.
- Use size 12 Arial for the abstract text.
- The body of the abstract may not exceed 2000 characters in length.
- Submit your abstract as a Word document with the file extension ".doc" (Word compatible)
- In the body of the e-mail include:
The presenting author(s) name, position, and institution.
Presenting authors should indicate if they are current members of APDT.
E-mail abstracts as an attachment to: poster@APDT.com.
- The author will use one 40"x60" foam poster board(s) provided by APDT.
- The poster(s) will be displayed on easels and can be either horizontal or vertical.
- The top of each poster is the title area which includes: Research Title, Author(s), and institution.
- A business card holder can be attached to the poster; no tables will be provided.
- Adhesive materials, foam boards and a workspace will be available for assembling posters in the APDT Conference staff office.
- Submit poster during check in at the registration desk.
Travel, Lodging and Conference Registration:
- Poster participation includes complimentary conference registration for the full conference for the Poster Presenter but does not include transportation, lodging or other travel costs. Fees for spouses and guests of the author are not waived.
Poster Session Presentation:
- Authors should arrive in time to assemble their posters for display before the first scheduled poster display session begins.
- Posters will be displayed at the Conference Poster Display Area.
- Poster presenters are expected to be available to discuss their posters with the conference attendees during the four trade show openings on Thursday and Friday for a minimum of 30 minutes during each session. To be eligible for the monetary awards presenters must be available for additional time during the award judging event on Thursday, October 18, 2018. Exact session times will be disseminated in the formal invitation letter sent to all successful applicants.
- Collection of the poster at the conclusion of the trade show events is the responsibility of the author. Posters that are not picked up by the conclusion of the closing session will be discarded.
Need Help With Poster Preparation?