Call for Poster Submissions
Download the Call for Posters
The Association of Professional Dog Trainers (APDT) and the APDT Foundation is inviting submissions for poster presentation proposals from the academic (faculty, students, and researchers) and professional (dog trainers, shelter staff, veterinary staff, etc.) communities for the APDT Annual Conference scheduled in Dallas, TX, October 14-17, 2015. Research posters should highlight research in topics relevant to dog behavior and training including preliminary results, completed studies, summaries of relevant published research (for which you are the author), and position papers. The aim of the poster session is to facilitate dissemination of research results to the broader community of dog training practitioners. Example topics of interest include (but are not limited to) behavioral studies, effectiveness studies (i.e., training protocols, training curricula, shelter management protocols, etc.), and business case studies.
The APDT produces the premier dog training and behavior conference in the United States. APDT membership is over 6,000 members worldwide and consists of dog trainers, animal behaviorists, world-renowned speakers/authors, veterinarians, veterinary technicians, shelter personnel, and service dog trainers. Typical conference attendance is approximately 1,000 people. APDT members are committed to becoming better trainers through education and the annual conference is certified to provide continuing education credits to certified dog trainers, veterinarians, veterinary technicians, animal welfare administrators, and animal behavior consultants. For more information on the conference program please visit our web site at https://apdt.com/conference/
Selection of accepted posters will be determined by evaluations from three members of the program committee (to be announced), including leaders from a diverse set of dog training disciplines. Reviewers will be selected based on expertise relevant to the submission and feedback will be given to those submitting works. To submit an abstract for consideration, please e-mail an abstract to poster@APDT.com by July 31, 2015. Following our selection process, invitation letters will be sent out electronically by September 11, 2015.
Selected presenters will be expected to be available during the conference Poster Display's on October 16, 2015, to discuss their research with the conference attendees during our exhibit hall hours. APDT will provide the presenters with necessary display equipment (please see the next page for detailed poster requirements).
Three Presenter Scholarships Will Be Awarded!
The Principal Investigator for each poster accepted will receive free registration for the full conference. Three awards will be offered for first ($750), second ($500) and third ($250) place poster.
Sharaton Dallas Hotel
Poster Abstract Submissions
|July 31, 2015
Acceptance and Official Invitation Letter
|September 11, 2015
Poster Display Dates
|October 16, 2015
Abstract Submission and Contact:
Poster Session Details and Requirements
- A full conference registration for the Principal Investigator only of the research project to the APDT Annual Conference on October 14-17, 2015.
- An opportunity to discuss your research with leaders in the canine behavior and training industry during the Poster Display in the exhibit hall.
- An opportunity to receive one of three awards for best posters.
- Submit your poster abstract by July 31, 2015 to poster@APDT.com.
- Selection and formal invitation letters will be send out by September 11, 2015
- Registration to the Annual Conference by the Principal Investigator is required. The Principal Investigator will be sent a registration form with the invitation letter. To waive the registration fee the author must indicate "Poster Session Participant" in the special billing area on the registration form.
Abstract Submission Requirements:
- Create your abstract in Microsoft Word.
- Use bold size 14 Arial for the abstract title and all author's names.
- Use size 12 Arial for the abstract text.
- The body of the abstract may not exceed 2000 characters in length.
- Submit your abstract as a Word document with the file extension ".doc" (Word 2003 compatible)
- In the body of the e-mail include:
The presenting author(s) name, position, and institution.
Presenting authors should indicate if they are current members of APDT.
E-mail abstracts as an attachment to: poster@APDT.com.
- The author will use one 40"x60" foam poster board(s) provided by APDT.
- The poster(s) will be displayed on easels and can be either horizontal or vertical.
- The top of each poster is the title area which includes: Research Title, Author(s), and institution.
- A business card holder can be attached to the poster, no tables will be provided.
- Adhesive materials, foam boards and a workspace will be available for assembling posters in the APDT Conference staff office.
Travel, Lodging and Conference Registration:
- Poster participation includes complimentary conference registration for the full conference for the Principal Investigator but does not include transportation, lodging or other travel costs. Fees for spouses and guests of the author are not waived.
Poster Session Presentation:
- Authors should arrive in time to assemble their posters for display before the display.
- Posters will be displayed at the Conference Poster Display Area. Authors are expected to be available to discuss their posters with the conference attendees during the following periods: Friday, October 16 between 5:00am – 6:30pm.
- After the conference posters are the responsibility of the author or they will be discarded.
Need Help With Poster Preparation?